Our silly camera-ham, photographer at his finest :)
While she's always cute, you could see it in her eyes :(
Munner came in that evening because David had been to the ER that day for Mesenteric Adenitis which is essentially a virus in the intestine. We had been certain that he was having appendicitis and were grateful to learn it was not and no surgery was needed. However, the CT scan showed a pulmonary nodule on his right lung and so that was a bit scary and would require follow up appointments.
The morning of the 16th, Munner and I headed to the surgical center and I was worried because Alyssa had developed a croupy cough overnight. Sure enough, the anesthesiologist listened to her lungs and she thought she had the beginning of pneumonia. So they cancelled the procedure and we had to make an appointment with our family doctor, Dr. Loden. We learned that she "only" had bronchitis but that meant more antibiotics and she already suffered from c-diff so I was heartbroken knowing we were going down this road again.
The next day, Alyssa seemed to be improving some from the antibiotics although Munner said she had felt feverish overnight. We kept alternating fever meds throughout the day to keep her comfortable. Munner headed home after I got off work at 5:30 and I could tell Alyssa was warming up and her last dose of medicine had been at 3:00 p.m. Alyssa was resting in my lap and watching Andrew play and be silly and we were enjoying a few calm moments together. I could tell she was really getting warm and so around 7 I went to change her diaper and take her temperature. David came in as I was checking her temp and the thermometer read 102.7 when David mentioned Alyssa's arms were shaking from having the chills. I took one look at her face and knew she was having a seizure. I freaked and ran for the phone to dial 911 while David stayed with Alyssa. When I returned, he had her on the floor ready to begin CPR because she had quite breathing and she was a deep bluish purple. David did not begin CPR because he noticed she was breathing erratically. Within minutes, the Woodway police arrived and Alyssa began coming around on her own. Soon after, the ambulance arrived and I rode with Alyssa to the hospital as I knew I was too shaken to drive. We called our good friend, Pam McKown, to meet us at the hospital to pick up Andrew for us and I had texted my Mom and she called Munner. Munner who had gotten to Corsicana, turned around to head back to our house to care for Andrew as we weren't certain what was happening. Pam beat the ambulance to the hospital and actually had to wait a few minutes for us to arrive... what a friend!! As I write this, I realize I had no idea what she was in the middle of but know that she dropped everything to come to our side. That is a TRUE FRIEND!
When we got to the ER, Alyssa's temperature was 104.6. They stripped her down and began all their tests and to try and cool her down. Our good friend, Debbie Miner, came to sit with us and snuck us in some bottled water. (Apparently there is a water nazi in the ER who won't let you have drinks in the ER!?!?) Debbie was also David's sister for these couple of hours so that she could come back with us. :)
In the end, it was a result of some virus and/or the bronchitis that caused Alyssa's fever to spike. When we took her home that night, we had to alternate fever meds every 3 hours to ensure she didn't get a fever overnight. At this point I hadn't slept in 5 nights because David had been in pain over the weekend so Bless his heart - he got up more than I did!
Thankfully, our baby girl was healthy and David was on the mend!!!! And even more so, we are thankful for the Blessings of good friends like Debbie Miner and David & Pam McKown! We are truly Blessed!!!
We are blessed to be around and also love on your kiddos when we have the chance. Your kids are like our second kids. Thanks for calling.
ReplyDelete