Monday, October 18, 2010

Andrew's First Camping Experience


While I'd like to call this entry, "Andrew's First CampOUT Experience", I can't.

David and Andrew had been discussing camping out a lot recently. I thought it might be a good idea since Alyssa is due soon, that they stay close to home. This is for 2 reasons:

(1) Alyssa is due soon
(2) I had a sneaking suspicion that Andrew would not want to camp outside all night long.

So, this past Friday, David got out the tent and set up camp in the backyard. Andrew helped David build a campfire pit out of rocks in the yard and we even ate hot dogs, beans and other "camping" food. (Ok - well, the guys ate the hot dogs... me and my hot dog aversion ate some grilled chicken tenders!) Later on we even made s'mores over the campfire. (I'm sure our neighbors AND the city loved the fact that we were doing this!)


















































Around 8 o'clock, I went in to get ready for bed. No, I wasn't trying to be a poor sport by not camping out. I was trying to keep things as easy as possible for me since I get up at LEAST 2-3 times a night now. So I got ready for bed and got settled into my cozy chair, thinking I would watch one of my "girlie-type" shows.

Five minutes into the show, David calls from his cell phone. He mentioned Andrew was already hinting towards wanting to come inside. Five more minutes passed and I heard the back door open as my boys came inside. Andrew came in looking a little forlorn, so I asked him what happened to camping out. His response? "It was a disaster." (Leave it to our 3 1/2 year old son!) When I asked what he meant by that, his response was "camping." Without missing a beat, he promptly asked if we could have a "slumber party" in my bed. All I could do was laugh as David looked a little exhausted from all his work on the camp out having gone down the tubes. So, we all went into our room, and the 3 monkeys went to sleep.

So much for camping "out" this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment